A few years ago the Indiana State Library awarded a grant from the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services to the Putnam County Public Library, DePauw University Libraries and the Greencastle Banner Graphic to digitize Greencastle newspapers. The organizations launched their archive of Greencastle newspapers in May 2012. Unfortunately, those newspapers have been inaccessible the last few months because of some server issues.
The good news is that they recently migrated most of the content to the Private Academic Library Network of Indiana’s (PALNI) Digital Collections, and the content can now be accessed here. AUGUST 2015 UPDATE: We are in the process of migrating the Greencastle content from the PALNI digital collections into Hoosier State Chronicles. We should have most of the issues migrated by the end of 2015. When it is done there will be around 14,450 issues, and nearly a hundred years worth of Greencastle newspapers from 1880-1979. As of this update, these are the issues we currently have migrated into Hoosier State Chronicles:
- Greencastle Banner (225 issues, 1853-1859) [HSC]
- Daily Greencastle Banner and Times (775 issues, 1890-1896) [HSC]
- The Daily Banner (6,690 issues, 1916-1968) [HSC]
- Banner Graphic (63 issues, 1974) [HSC]
- Greencastle Herald (3,830 issues, 1910-1931) [HSC]
- Herald-Democrat (312 issues, 1913-1921) [HSC]
- Star-Democrat (3 January 1912 – 28 March 1913) [HSC]
- Greencastle Star Press (132 issues, 1891-1894) [HSC]
- The Times News (10 issues, 1933-1935) [HSC]
We will give updates on newly migrated Greencastle content in future blog entries (so be sure to subscribe to our blog, or follow us on Twitter @HS_Chronicles ), or you can just click through and find an up-to-date list here.